is xenix unix....

eeproks at gitpyr.UUCP eeproks at gitpyr.UUCP
Tue Feb 17 17:41:35 AEST 1987

Newsgroups: comp.unix.xenix

Before anyone starts another holy war over tiny technical points, plaese
read this carfully.  I will try and word it as to be as unambiguous as
possible:

I use (and love) unix on quite a few different machines.  The SV machines
are primarily 3B1's, 3B2's and 3B20's.  I would like the machine that I use at
home to provide the same environment that I am use to at work.  Of course,
this all has to be done on a budget.  IBM machines and clones are cheap, BUT...

1)  Is SCO and IBM Xenix the same as AT&T Unix System V.2.
2)  How close is PC/IX to System III.

The point is that I want Unix, not something that looks a whole lot like
Unix, on my home machine.  Before you flame me for whatever reason, please
realize that I have never used Xenix before and I am not fully enlightened
in the mysteries of the IBM PC ( I much prefer my 3Bn's, Sun's and Masscomp's).

Thanks for the help.

K. J. Seefried iii
ComputerGraphical Mathematics Lab
School of Mathematics