Altos XENIX can of worms

grr at cbmvax.UUCP grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Thu Feb 19 14:38:30 AEST 1987

In article <59100001 at gorgo.UUCP> ddrex at gorgo.UUCP writes:

>Help!
>
>I'm running XENIX 3.3 on an Altos 2086-series box. We cannot get tar to
>restore individual files from the tape. After reading thru the whole tape
>(45 minutes), it reports, "1 file(s) not restored" and quits.

You did do a 'tar tv' to verify the file is on the tape, and the name is
exactly the same as you asked for?

>We're also having intermittent disk problems. We were told by the people who
>put out the compiler we're using (CET) that after 8000 disk accesses (after
>a reset), 10%-15% of all reads and writes silently fail, leaving files in an
>indeterminate state. They claim to have gotten around the problem with SCO,
>but not Altos XENIX. The only help they could offer us was a suggestion that
>we reset the box every hour >:-(

Sounds like sour grape BS of some sort - I ran a lot of Business Basic stuff
on a Altos a good while back and never had any problems like that.
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at seismo.css.GOV