Confused file name in directory

blm at cxsea.UUCP blm at cxsea.UUCP
Sun Mar 1 04:42:18 AEST 1987

In article <105 at aob.UUCP> jim at aob.UUCP (Jim Anderson) writes:
|I have an Altos 2086 running XENIX 3.2f.  I had a problem show up recently
|that defies all my attempts to fix.  What has happened is that a file name
|in a directory has a null in the middle of the name.

I'm not familiar with XENIX, but System V has a utility called fsdb, that
let's you do strange and wonderous things to a file system, one of which is
to modify the name field of a directory entry. fsdb has to be run on an
unmounted file system, probably as superuser (if the permissions are set
up the way they should be on the file systems device). In my manual, the
second to last example is setting a file name.

If XENIX doesn't have fsdb, I guess I can't help you. clri/fsck is probably
the only way to go.

--

Brian L. Matthews                               "Facts are impotent against
...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!blm          loud and frequent assertion."