uname(2) on Altos 2000?

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.UUCP
Wed Apr 20 16:55:55 AEST 1988

In article <208 at blblbl.UUCP> henrik at blblbl.UUCP (Larry DeLuca) writes:
>In article <173 at turnkey.TCC.COM>, jack at turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
>} In article <267 at amanue.UUCP> jr at amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>} >I'm in the process of getting things all ship-shape on an Altos 2000.  I had
>} >to put a rather disgusting hack into Elm to get it to know my site name, since
>

>Folks, it's really *quite* easy.  Put the node name in /etc/systemid.  That's
>all there is to it.

Uh, well, no, that's not all there is to it.  Not to flame, but horsefeathers.
I believe I mentioned in my original article that I *DID* set /etc/systemid,
and uname(1) still reports (empty) as the nodename.  At the moment our system
*doesn't* have the link kit, though I will probably get it.  So thanks to all
who suggested adb'ing the kernel; looks like that's what I would have to do.
To the person who suggested just setting /etc/systemid, try uname(1) on your
machine and see what it does!
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \