Alternate Mailers for SCO Xenix, Help Please

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Tue Apr 19 03:50:00 AEST 1988

User agent: mush (I run 5.7, am bringing up 6.0 now)
mailer: smail2.5, hacked to evaluate ! ahead of @, so a!b at c send
	to a, not c.

Why not run uucp? Excelan runs just fine over Enet, and gives you file
transfers, too. FTP is a LOUSY way to do complex unattended file
transfers.

I send all my stuff out via Enet/uucp, although I did take a few hours
and write an SMTP server to accept messages, I never bothered to finish
the mailer, since the uucp was satisfactory.

Yes FTP is faster than uucp for large transfers, but I hardly ever do
anything larger than a few MB, and your question was on mail.

I should give Excelan a call and see if I can put this in public domain.
I swiped about 20 lines of code to avoid typing the stuff that opens the
socket and waits for the connect. I could even write a doc ;-)
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)