A/UX performance

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com
Wed Apr 6 07:18:25 AEST 1988

In article <4309 at hoptoad.uucp> gnu at hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:

>Some of the numbers look pretty questionable to me, e.g. Sun-3/280 can
>do 7,650,000 trig functions per second, but only 74,300 float

Obviously one of the values I marked in k isn't...  I went in by hand
and edited the printer escape sequences out of the troff output so
people could read it.  When there were a lot of escapes I retyped things
by hand.

>compare-and-branches? Also note that the Sun being compared is the
>highest end 68020 based Sun (25MHz, big cache, pricey).  >--

  If you'll send me the Sun you want tested I'll do it.  The machines of
interest here are the 386 vs.  68020, Xenix/386 vs.  AU/X performance
issues.  Not which is "better" but what the strengths of each may be.  I
included the VAX and Sun as examples of other common machines.

  I'm sorry if you were unable to gain information from the data,
several other people have sent mail saying that it was of interest.  I
didn't publish the entire manual with one table, not do I intend to.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)