CTeX and DOS or XENIX or Microport

Dominick Samperi samperi at mancol.UUCP
Sun Apr 24 07:42:16 AEST 1988

I've been trying to get CTeX 2.9 running under DOS or Xenix or Microport. In the
DOS  environment, the progem will compile and link in the large memory model,
provided that two arrays are declared huge (mem[] and font_info[]).
Unfortunately, the resulting executable file is more than 900K, even when
the -Os (keep the program small) switch is used. Consequently, it is too big
to fit in DOS's limited memory.

In the Microport environment, after breaking up a few modules, it is possible
to compile all of the source files, but the link fails, even when I change
the declared size of some of the arrays so they are not bigger than 64K.

It was possible to compile and link the program in the Xenix environment,
and the resulting executable is less than 300K (what is going on with the
Microsoft DOS C compiler??? - 900K!!!). The huge memory model was used.
The program runs, but it seems to dump core when it tries to manipulate
a few numbers that are too big to fit in a 16 bit integer. These large
numbers are hardwired into the code, apparently under the assumption that
the target machine will have 32 bit ints. I have not been able to load
any of the standard fonts either.

There have been postings here stating that people have been able to
compile and run CTeX under DOS and Microport, and this is what motivated
me to try. Perhaps the posters could provide a little more information,
give pointers to documentation, more details, etc.? Thanks.

--
Dominick Samperi, Manhattan College, NYC
    manhat!samperi at NYU.EDU           ihnp4!rutgers!nyu.edu!manhat!samperi