payroll for Xenix

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com
Wed Apr 6 08:02:31 AEST 1988

A friend called me last night and told me a tale of woe which can be
boiled down to "MS-DOS is great but I just need to add users, do
something while the printer is running, and have more than 640k."

After he saw a Xenix/386 system, he allowed that it might be just the
thing for him, if he could get a good payroll program. This is where the
net comes in... I have no idea what is (a) inexpensive and (b) reliable.
He will only have one user running payroll, so it doesn't have to be a
multiuser version, it just has to work reasonably well, and not cost
much (ie DOS prices).

I hope someone has written a small payroll program which is suitable for
up to say 80 users, which doesn't cost as much as the payroll it
handles. He will want a general accounting program, too.

Any thoughts on this are fine, but please don't say "spend more and get
..." because that's not the question I'm asking. I suspect that
$800-2000 is about the ballpark, and if he can't do it for that he'll
just buy more 386's running DOS, add RAMdisk and keep fighting.

Reply by mail or post as you see fit.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)