'Tmp file too large' in vi

Jack F. Vogel jack at turnkey.TCC.COM
Fri Apr 15 04:27:38 AEST 1988

In article <2677 at mulga.oz> jayen at mulga.oz (Jayen Vaghani) writes:
>We're running SCO Xenix V/286 2.1.3 on an IBM AT compatible at my father's
>business and for some reason 'vi' comes up with a 'Tmp File too large' error
>when trying to edit data files of about 200K...
>.... The system has 1Mb of memory at the moment, and there
>were no other users on the system at the time.

For one thing you definitely need more memory. A paltry megabyte is hardly
enough to run in single user mode :-}. That may help vi a bit but I have
found that it does tend to complain as you saw on files much larger than
200K. The solution is to get your hands on MicroEmacs and use it on larger
files. This little wonder actually has handled files approaching 1Meg!! We
use it for editing uucp, mail, and news log files or things like the paths
output of pathalias.

						Good luck,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA