Do we need a serial I/O benchmark (BAUDSTONE)?

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.UUCP
Fri Apr 15 04:25:26 AEST 1988

In article <1974 at ubc-cs.UUCP> pajari at grads.cs.ubc.ca (George Pajari) writes:

A loopback configuration is next to useless for predicting the
ability of a system to receive data at speed from external
sources (other computers).

The limiting factor is often the ability of the system to
accept data at the interrupt level.  Such congestion tends to
delay transmission of the next few characters so a loopback
test will pass all characters but a real world application
will encounter missing data.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746   CIS: 70007,2304    Genie: CAF