Benchmarks

Tony Holden tony at killer.UUCP
Wed Apr 13 23:40:31 AEST 1988

I have a suggestion for the benchmark wars going on right now.

There is a benchmark that is  in  the  public  domain  called  "Monash
University  Suite  for  Benchmarking Unix Systems",  MUSBUS for short.
It is a collection of different programs that test different parts  of
a system:
				Math
				Memory
				Disk I/O

and a program that emulates multipule (sp) users, 1-32 users.

Although  I'm  sure  MUSBUS  will  not satisfy all people at least the
source is out in the open and everyone has access to it.

I've been using it to compare CPU's and Disk  subsystems.  For  me  it
gives a standard reference to compare by.

Why  doesn't  everyone  get  a copy of this benchmark, run it and then
post the results. If there is a result that is out of  line  with  the
others,  ie. one Sun 3 is a lot faster than another Sun 3, then we all
will know that someone has cheated.

I am willing to keep a database of all benchmarks run using MUSBUS and
even have the source if someone needs it.

Instead of flaming each others results,  why  don't  we  settle  on  a
source for a general purpose benchmark that all users can run?

Tony Holden
ihnp4!killer!tony
tony at killer

P.S.  I know this should be posted to a lot of different groups but I'm lazy.