Thoughts needed

Kean Stump kean at mist.cs.orst.edu
Fri Apr 22 05:32:39 AEST 1988

	I need recommendations for a multi-user multi-tasking os that will run
    on the following equipment:

		I have a Compaq 386/20 with 5 meg ram
		         136 Mb hard drive
			 Compaq VGA card w/NEC Multisync II
			 20 Mhz Unitek coprocessor (Weitek originally, I think)

	I've read SCO's literature on their brand of Sys V, Microport's literature
    and a small amount on IBM's Sys V.  I'm also considering Concurrent-Dos and
    PC-MOS/386 as runners-up.  One of the major requirements is that
    real-time sampling on the order of 10K samples/sec (~40 bytes/sample) needs
    to be possible (the Compaq will spend some time on a chunk of ice in the
    Arctic next spring collecting data from a variety of instruments dropped
    through a hole in the ice) and a good C and FORTRAN (8-<) compiler are needed.
    The os should also be capable of painlessly driving a >= 60 meg tape unit;
    the Everex Stream 60 we have for the pc's in the group is down more than
    it is up, and Everex hands out rma's only when a small cannon is held to
    their head (1/2 8-}!).

	The Arnet Smartport and the Microway AT16 are the serial port expanders
    currently being considered. What opinions do you have on these? I've seen
    multiple good references on the Smartport, but no mention of the Microway
    AT16 16 port expander in the newsgroups I (try 8->) to keep up with.

	Please mail to me and I'll summarize if there's enough info to do so.

					Thanks Much....kean

Campus Crusade for Cthulhu...It found me.             Kean Stump
Oregon State University                     UUCP:     hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!kean
College of Oceanography			    DOMAIN:   kean at cs.orst.edu