Daylight Savings on SCO Xenix

Bill wdr at cstowe.csoft.co.nz
Sun Apr 10 10:53:56 AEST 1988

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.22 of Fri Jan 15 1988 on cstowe (usg-unix-v)

Hi there,

>How do we reconfigure SCO Xenix so that it becomes aware of the new days
>for Daylight Savings Time to start and end?

   I have been waiting around a bit to see if a good reply came about
this but is hasn't :-) so ...

   I hate to say this but RTFM - chortle chortle - I love saying that.
Anyway we are running SCO Xenix 2.2 Update A and there is a manual
page called TZ(M) which explains how they do timezones.  Basically
they encode the changes to and from daylight savings time in the TZ
environment variable. Apparently the ctime(S) call parses this
correctly. I won't reproduce the manual page here, but it does allow
for defining the start and end of summer time based on Julian dates, or a
day of a particular week, or a day of a month. It also allows for the
encoding of the daylight time differential and at what time the
change over takes place. There is a script /etc/tz that lets you do this
in a slightly more friendly manner.

   An example that they give follows:

  To fully encode a string for Eastern Standard/Daylight Time use this:

TZ=EST05:00:00EDT04:00:00;M4.1.0/02:00:00,M10.5.0/02:00:00
    Norml Time DayLght Tm  DayLghtStrts    DayLght Finishes

Hope this helps a bit. Once you have it set up right you should never
need to change it again.

See Y'all Later

<Stuff the Disclaimer.>

Bill D. Ryder                        ...!uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!pnamd!cstowe!wdr
Phone 063-65955 (IDD 64)         or  wdr at csoft.co.nz
Commercial Software N.Z. Ltd., PO Box 4030
Palmerston North,  Aotearoa (New Zealand if want to use snail mail)