Microport console driver & raw mode programs

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Fri Apr 15 15:44:07 AEST 1988

In article <300 at zinn.MV.COM>, mem at zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) writes:
< I certainly haven't seen that sort of trouble, but it puts me in mind of a
< problem that I *do* run across sometimes - that the console driver doesn't
< get reset between logins.  For instance, if I run a program that sets a
< restricted scrolling region, and that program core dumps (or more likely,
< if it is on another system and the telephone line hangs up), I would expect
< to be able to log out and log back in and have the console back in a normal
< mode.  Not so.  Perhaps someone at Microport could fix this.

It's not necessarily broken -- a terminal doesn't reset on logout
and the console is faithfully emulating a terminal.  Perhaps putting
"tput init" in /etc/profile will clear things up for you as long as
the init strings in terminfo are set.

< [...] the values I use [for the 2.3 ansi terminfo] are:
<
<  hpa=\E[%i%p1%dG	(addition of %i)
<  vpa=\E[%p1%dd
<  ll=??			(what is ll??)

ll = "lower left", kind of like "home" but to the bottom of the screen.
If you leave it out, "cup" gets used instead.

--
Steve Friedl   V-Systems, Inc.   "Yes, I'm jeff at unh's brother"
friedl at vsi.com  {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl  attmail!vsi!friedl