Microport console driver & raw mode programs

Dominick Samperi samperi at mancol.UUCP
Sun Apr 3 15:02:44 AEST 1988

Has anyone experienced console driver problems after using a program
(like elm, for example) that sets the tty to raw mode (that is, turns
off ICANON under System V)? I'm using Microport's System V/AT, and
whenever I use such a program (and assuming that the program resets the
tty to its original state on termination), I have problems when I use vi
later. In particular, CTRL-D does not scroll the screen properly, and
text deletes and inserts are not echoed correctly. There are similar
problems when less is used after elm. A system reboot always fixes the
vi/less problems (until a program like elm is run again). I've had no problems
using elm and vi/less under Xenix. Any ideas?
--
Dominick Samperi, Manhattan College, NYC
    manhat!samperi at NYU.EDU           ihnp4!rutgers!nyu.edu!manhat!samperi