SCO 2.2.1 tar question

Jay Mathew Libove jl42+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Apr 25 03:09:42 AEST 1988

Hi. I'm running SCO Xenix SysV/286 v2.2.1 on an IBM PC/AT clone and
I am having a bit of a problem with "tar".
I want to tar off a filesystem as:

% tar cf - /pathname | compress | tar cfk /dev/rfd096ds9 720 -

but when I do this I get:

tar: blocksize must be a multiple of 2.

Anyone know why this doesn't work, or how I could do this? I could also
use afio/cpio for the second tar, but I want the first tar to be a tar
so I can read back the archive, decompress it, and extract lists and
individual files.

Thanks!

Jay Libove
Arpa:   Jay.Libove at andrew.cmu.edu	Bitnet: Jay.Libove at drycas.bitnet
UUCP:   ...!{uunet, ucbvax, harvard}!andrew.cmu.edu!Jay.Libove
UUCP:   ...!{pitt | bellcore} !darth!libove!libove