ROM disk [ was Re: RAM disk ]

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Sun Apr 10 10:51:23 AEST 1988

In article <6052 at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, wen-king at cit-vlsi.Caltech.Edu  \
      (Wen-King Su) writes:
< I have thought about getting a portable 386 box to run UNIX on, but I
< didn't want to have to ballance a spinning hard disk on my laps.
< Reading about RAM-DISK drivers gave me an idea about building a
< transportable, shake-able, kick-able, virtually indestructible :-) UNIX
< box, whose root partition resides on a ROM-DISK.

A number of DOS laptops (some Toshibas, at least) put the OS in
ROM, and HP came out with a Unix-in-ROM portable a couple of years
ago.  I have no idea how it went...

--
Steve Friedl   V-Systems, Inc.   "Yes, I'm jeff at unh's brother"
friedl at vsi.com  {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl  attmail!vsi!friedl