Xenix Multiplan bug+patch

Richard Bassett fredb at cheops.OZ
Tue Apr 12 17:55:46 AEST 1988

We just purchased Microsoft Multiplan (TM etc etc) v2.01 (an 80286
binary), to run on our 386 under Xenix-386.
Installed it using the 25k binary "msinstall" program on the
tar-distribution disc (binary install programs!! Haven't they heard of
"custom"??), typed
	mp
and presto:
	<PID>: floating exception, core dumped.
Real impressive.

Well, I rebooted the system onto the Xenix-386 v2.2.1 kernel,
************* BUG REPORT FOR YOU, SCO ****************
because core dumps generated by the vpix-modified 2.46 kernel which
we normally run are not readable by adb (real impressive)
repeated the exercise, and jumped into the core-file with adb.
Crash was at:
	0x57:0x9fd2 fninit
I replaced this instruction by 2 nop's:

	echo '0x57:0x9fd2?w 0x9090
	$q'  |  adb -w /usr/lib/MSTOOLS/mp.exec

and tried again. Hey presto, it seems to work. If I was doing sums
on my million-dollar bank account, I mightn't trust it, but I'm prepared
for that worry after I get the $1M.

The program is a dog, though. It is s-l-o-w to refresh the screen.
It gobbles 587k of data-space upon invokation, on top of its 243k of code.
But if you want compatibility with DOS spreadsheet files, ....
And it was cheap (on special, $Aus150)

Hope this info may be useful
--
R J Bassett, Dept of Textile Tech, Uni of NSW,
PO Box 1, Kensington, NSW 2033, AUSTRALIA	: Ph. +61 2 697 4454
ACSnet:	fredb at cheops.oz
ARPA:	fredb at cheops.oz.au
UUCP:	{uunet,mcvax}!cheops.oz!fredb