"install" command

Geoff Kimbrough geoff at ism780c.UUCP
Thu Apr 14 10:12:14 AEST 1988

In article <QWMbkNy00VoDEdflM8 at andrew.cmu.edu> jl42+ at andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) writes:
>There is a command on Berkeley systems called "install" which copies
>Anyone got such a command for Xenix (or SysV in general?)
	System V.3 has the install command in /etc.  I don't know why, but
	my guess is that since it's a shell script that may attempt to
	set the SUID bit on files owned by just about anybody, you have to
	run it as root to *guarantee* that it does the right thing.  put
	/etc in your PATH and you should be OK,  (don't know about Xenix,
	never used it.)
--
	 Geoffrey Kimbrough -- Director of Dangerous Activities
	INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation, Santa Monica, California