Xenix-386 + 80287 --> garbage

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.uucp
Mon Apr 18 07:25:14 AEST 1988

IN article <256 at vector.UUCP>, chip at vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) wrote:
> I read the following rumors in a recent Computerworld:  there is a
> co-processor bug in the '386 which Intel is working to fix, and as a
> result SCO is desupporting the math processor.  I'm not sure if this
> is true or not.  I'd hate to be the one to spread such inciteful gossip
> if it isn't; does anybody from SCO want to clarify?...

The Intel "fix" to the 287 consists of dropping support for the 386/287
altogether.  I suspect this is more to "fix" sales of the 387 than for any
technical issues...

I understand Intel is switching over to the new 386 part in only a couple of
months.  All of the 386 system manufacturers who still use the 287 are going
to have to dump their motherboards.  May be some good fire sales out there.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!utastro!bigtex!james   "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746