Wyse 700/Amdek 1280 console driver -- wucha think?

Steve Benz mrspock at hubcap.UUCP
Sun Apr 10 15:43:26 AEST 1988

I've been kicking around the notion of buying a Wyse 700 or Amdek 1280
and writing a console device driver for it.

For those unfamiliar with the hardware, those two systems (* which are
completely identical *) are affordable (best price ~= $650) 15" b/w monitors
and display adapter cards.  They have a 1280x700 max resolution and can
emulate a bunch of other graphics standards.  But the real claim to fame
is the fact that they can pull a pretty-darn-readable-for-somebody-with
20/20-vision 160x50 text screen.  Think of the trouble you could make with
four 80x25 screens on the same picture tube!

Anyway, I know some of you folks have written some console drivers, and
I know a bit about the subject myself.  I was wondering if any of you
might be interested in such a project, or tell me if such an animal
already exists.

A cheaper alternative might involve, say the new Hercules card (plus?)
which has a 132x50 display mode.  I'd jump at the chance to talk about
that with you too.

If interested, please send e-mail.

				- Steve
				mrspock at hubcap.clemson.edu