I need an RDBMS - based accounting package, capable of fund or cash accounting right out of the box.

Brandon Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Tue Apr 5 13:12:34 AEST 1988

As quoted from <289 at syntron.UUCP> by gerry at syntron.UUCP (G. Roderick Singleton):
+---------------
| >     I have talked to DEC, IBM, Sun Microsystems...  and am
| >awaiting word from Harris.  I've talked to SCO and Fox
| >about software, but there's no TOPS (or TOPS-like product) for
| >Xenix 386 or uPort 386, so I don't think they'll do... but I'd
| >like to be proven wrong.   I really like what I've seen of SCO
| >Xenix, and I feel that a 386 box would be the most cost-effective
| >solution for us right now.
|
| Again are you sure that a PC is really what you want?  Anyways call me
| or Joe Novak before making a decision.  I think our products mounted on
| a GOOD UNIX machine plus our user interface which integrates the various
| functions will be exactly what you want.  In addition, we have lots of
+---------------

(as long as we're tossing sales pitches around...  P.S.  Doesn't this belong
in email?)

Oh, I don't know about that.  Recent Altos machines using the 386 processor
will run Mis-Dos [ ;-) ] as a subtask, but Altos has no interest in selling
DOS systems.  (I wish they had no interest in selling their 286 systems....)

(opinion follows)
Why the heck do you want to run Mis-Dos anyway?  If you want a singleuser
environment, get *real* Amigas or Macs -- subtasks under a multitasking OS
won't give you much unless the hardware's nice and fast, in which case it's
even faster to run native programs.  And MS-DOS is by far the *ugliest*
of the singleuser operating systems available (now that TRSDOS is dead,
at least...  ;-)  [don't flame me, TRSDOS 6.x is really LDOS, which is better
than Mis-Dos any day!]
--
	      Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
       {well!hoptoad,uunet!hnsurg3,cbosgd,sun!mandrill}!ncoast!allbery