Tecmar Tapes vs Xenix (was: Everex Tapes vs Xenix)

Jon Tara jtara at m2-net.UUCP
Mon Apr 25 02:01:33 AEST 1988

In article <280 at bby-bc.UUCP>, john at bby-bc.UUCP (john) writes:
> In article <1710 at van-bc.UUCP>, sl at van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) writes:
> .
> .
> .
> > Bell Technologies sells this under their own name, with drivers for System
> > V/286 or 386 and Xenix 286/386/SCO/IBM.
> >
> > Unfortunately for you, rumour has it they have very slightly modified the
> > controller to allow their driver to distinguish their own version from the
> > generic version to prevent anyone from pirating the software.
> >

> This is true - I called them last year and asked about it and was told
> they do modify a gate array (as I recall) for just that purpose.

Many, many moons ago I bought a Tecmar external tape backup, on the
promise (from Tecmar) that the drivers were coming "real soon now."
This also uses a Wangtek drive with controller in the external case and
a QIC-02 adaptor.  Tecmar finally referred me to Bell, which refused
to sell the software seperately, but instead tried to sell me one
of THEIR backup units at a "substantial discount."  I said thanks,
but I already have the hardware, I just need the software and I'm
willing to pay you more for it than your profit on the hardware.
No dice.

Tecmar said that I could make this work by putting a QIC-36 controller
in my machine, chucking the QIC-02 and the controller in the external
cabinet.  I said "thanks, but I already have..."

I'm not so sure that Bell really is changing a gate array simply to
make the thing uncompatible - the whole problem stems in the
first place from a single-bit difference in a control register
between the QIC-02 adaptor and the QIC-36 controller, making QIC-36
software not work on a QIC-02.  (Whatever that bit is, is isn't used
in Tecmar's DOS software, which happily runs with either board.)
I was told, time and time again, that "it's a simple patch, and
we're giving it to SCO."  Then, "we'll be able to sell you a new
gate array soon."  Then "we don't have enough demand, we decided not
to do the gate array."

Two years later, it looks like SCO Xenix 2.2.3 is going to support
the QIC-02.  Real Soon Now.

(Oh, yea, Tecmar offered to sell me one of their new series backups,
which comes with driver software, at a "substantial discount".
Thanks, but...)
--
  jtara%m-net at umix.cc.umich.edu          ihnp4!dwon!m-net!jtara

 "If this is all a dream, I can't wait to see what it's like when I
  wake up."  - Explorers