Replacement '386 motherboards ?

Steven P. Donegan donegan at stanton.TCC.COM
Sat Apr 16 23:13:12 AEST 1988

In article <354 at yunccn>, landolt at yunccn (J. Paul Landolt) writes:
> In article <539 at bronson.UUCP>, tan at bronson.UUCP (N.R. "Tan" Bronson) writes:
> >
> >     I would like to upgrade my PC limited 8mhz '286, running SCO 2.1.3,
> > to a '386 running SC0 2.2.
> >     The most attractive would appear to be to replace my motherboard.
>
> [ The new motherboard, among other things, must be ]
> >     - verified to work w/SCO xenix
>
> Dyna SX386 - Dyna Computer Inc. $1,650
>
> Hauppauge 386 Motherboard - Hauppauge Computer Works Inc. $1,495
>
> Intel iSBC 386AT - Intel Corp.  sbout $1,995
>
> Monolithic Microframe 386 - Monolithic Systems Corp. $3,295
>
> Zeos 386 Motherboard - Zeos International Ltd. $1,395

I went through the same decision process, I wanted a faster Xenix system so
that my compiles and number crunches didn't take so long. I found an outfit
that sells the Novas motherboard line. The one I purchased cost 550$ (0K RAM)
and runs at 16mhz near 0 wait state (I would need many lines to describe
'near' 0 ws's). It benchmarks at 18.7 (Norton 3.0) under dos which is the
same number you get from most 16mhz 80386. With a 80287-8 it runs around
360k whetstones, fairly respectable for a 80286. Novas uses the Harris CMOS
80286 which runs almost cold. Harris is supposed to have a 20mhz version
out this month and Novas is ready with a motherboard that will use it. I
run SCO Xenix 2.2.1 on my system with 5.5 meg of ram and 2 ST-4096 drives,
the overall feel is not much slower than my 16mhz 0ws PC's limited 386.
Unless you have to have a 386 box for 386 Xenix I would highly suggest that
you spend your money on a 286 board like this and a 287 to go with it.
The company I bought mine from is: Computrader, 780 Montague Expressway
                                   Suite 501, San Jose, Ca 95131
                                   408-435-2662

A very satisfied customer.
--