Bell Tech 386 SysVr3 (really a put-down of Xenix)

Pete Rourke pete at romed.UUCP
Sat Aug 27 15:09:11 AEST 1988

In article <936 at cerebus.UUCP> ronc at cerebus.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:
>In article <1585 at spdcc.COM> dyer at spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>>When someone flames so strongly about a product and company as you have,
>>presenting some evidence and more invective, when that is contrary to a lot
>>of people's reported experience, it's worth wondering what's going on.
>>What's your support experience been with SCO?  What were the applications
>>you were running?  Situations differ, but this is quite anomalous.
>
>It could be that you don't see a lot of traffic on problems with Xenix
>because a lot of people struggling with Xenix don't have access to
>Usenet because they can't get the gol-durned uucp to work.  When you're
>effectively cut off from the rest of humanity, your voice is small and
>thin indeed.
>
>As for support, we called SCO today with a trivial question about
>their uucp, and they scheduled an answer for next Tuesday.  The
>question was, how do you send a string in your chat script with
>a space in it?  (Like "foo bar".)  If you write

>or even send a string without a trailing carrage return.  This is
>a usable Unix?

You bet this is a usable UNIX. Seemingly I have had no difficulty using
chat scripts with a space in it since SCO had a many announced release
of the Telebit uucico. (last year).

Do a grep of the maps directory to find out how many XENIX sites there
are STRUGGLING. I did, and found 1263 that spelled Xenix, and 2392 that
spelled XENIX. Sure are lots of folks cain't get their gol-durned uucp
to work, you say? Gosh, try the grep on your favorite *NIX vendor and
see if the number stacks up. Some of those users didn't look like English
was their native language, and they figured out how to do it.

Seems hardly worth the phone call to SCO technical folks about. Trivial
questions merit trivial response times. If you read much of this news
group, at least once a week is a posting about chat scripts with the
explanation to pursue the available Telebit uucico from SCO. I bet you'd
even get it before the return phone call next Tuesday. (:-}

Pete Rourke
Tulsa, OK