$PRINTER environment variable in Unix

Joe Bob Willie haugj at pigs.UUCP
Wed Aug 10 02:26:41 AEST 1988

In article <4907 at rpp386.UUCP>, jfh at rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> In article <1988Aug2.085719.11489 at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> romwa at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld) writes:
> >Is there a "standard" method for implementation of a $PRINTER
> >environment variable in a user's shell?
>
> yes, it is spelt "LPDEST".  i frequently use it on three systems connected
> by ether and uucp to route print requests.  i can even provide model scripts
> for anyone wanting to know how to queue lp requests over uucp.  just as
> soon as pigs.UUCP returns to the air ...

ok, pigs is back on the air and as i've received a number of requests for
the models i use (they are really QUITE simple ;-), i'm including them here.

to use this model, install the file below as /usr/spool/lp/model/remote
and then edit the resultant file after it is installed using lpadmin.  you
will then need to edit your L.cmds file to allow lp commands from the
machine which is doing the calling.  real easy ...

the machine named below is on the ethernet with pigs.  after you install
this model you will need to change pifo to your remote machine's name.

good luck.  oh, this is shareware, please send $10 to my retirement fund ;-)

- john.
----------------------- cut as /usr/spool/lp/model/remote -----------------
#
# @(#)remote	1.1 4/19/84

# lp interface for remote line printer
#
#	SCCS @(#)remote	1.1
machine=pifo

copies=$4
shift; shift; shift; shift; shift
files="$*"
for file in $files
do
	cat "$file" 2>&1
	echo "\014\c"
done | uux -n - "$machine!lp -s -n$copies"
exit 0
--
 jfh at rpp386.uucp	(The Beach Bum at The Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers)
     "Never attribute to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity"