I think we have a proposal on our hands (re: intel U**X)

Greg Laskin greg at gryphon.CTS.COM
Tue Aug 23 13:30:58 AEST 1988

In article <109 at jetson.UPMA.MD.US> john at jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) writes:
>In article <62 at volition.dec.com>, vixie at decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
>> In <1988Aug19.122042.19070 at ateng.uucp> chip at ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg):
>> #     comp.unix.xenix         Microsoft Xenix and its derivatives
>> #     comp.unix.sysv.i286     AT&T Unix System V for the '286
>> #     comp.unix.sysv.i386     AT&T Unix System V for the '386
>> and   comp.unix.microport     (destroyed)
>
>If we're going to do the .sysv. thing, let's at least stay consistent
>within the USENET name space, and use .sys5., which has precedent in
>comp.bugs.sys5.
>
>I still feel that this is going to cause problems in the near future,
>when plenty of people can rightly claim that Xenix/386 is "AT&T Unix
>System V for the '386".
>
>Probably the best way to handle voting on this is to first put up for
>vote two or three naming proposals.  The one that gets a plurality of
>
>	comp.unix.i286		UNIX on systems using the Intel '286 CPU
>	comp.unix.i386		UNIX on systems using the Intel '386 CPU
>	(delete comp.unix.xenix and comp.unix.microport)
>
>and another popular one:
>
>	comp.unix.intel		UNIX on systems using Intel CPUs
>	(delete comp.unix.xenix and comp.unix.microport)
>
>Are there still any other serious contenders, or is everyone
>sufficiently happy with one of these to start voting between them?

No. I object. Strenuously.

Xenix is as unique a product as aux and ultrix.  It is not Intel specific.

Voting on wholesale renaming proposals randomly suggested in an effort to
accomplish some great organizational goal will be less productive than
voting on the creation of specific groups and letting those that you
are not particularly interested in die for lack of interest.

For example, I would blindly vote against any proposal that deleted
comp.unix.xenix regardless of how well it organized the universe for
'386 users, Intel users and the like, whereas I would be inclined to
vote in favor of a proposal to create a specific comp.unix.i386
group or some such.

--
Greg Laskin  greg at gryphon.CTS.COM    <any backbone site>!gryphon!greg