comp.unix.sys5-intel

Paul Vixie vixie at decwrl.dec.com
Wed Aug 24 12:27:37 AEST 1988

# Current volume does not warrant a '286-'386 split.  So, essentially, I'm
# suggesting that we replace comp.unix.microport with comp.unix.sys5-intel.

This is not a good idea.  Partly because, volume notwithstanding, the two
topics are each repulsive to many people interested in the other.  Partly
because, even if no 286/386 split is appropriate, the group would be called

	comp.unix.sys5.intel

(that is, "." instead of "-".)

If any of you think a 286/386 split is inappropriate, send mail to the
person who's collecting the nominations.  I think it's a bad idea, but
what do _you_ think?

# Let's just do this and get it over with, hmm?

No!  Whatever you do, do not _ever_ try to steamroller something like this
through.  Let the nomination/voting process work - it's the only way to let
people have their say.  If you don't ask people what they want and give
those desires some consideration, no Usenet plan-of-change can work.  This
was well-established in the comp.society.women debate, and if that debate
taught us anything, it's that you can't just make changes to group names
because one or a few people think it's a good idea.
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie at dec.com	Play:  paul at vixie.UUCP