call for discussion: how should these U**X/*86 newsgroups be named?

Paul Vixie vixie at decwrl.dec.com
Tue Aug 16 09:43:32 AEST 1988

In article <101 at jetson.UPMA.MD.US> john at jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) writes:
# 	comp.unix.i286
# 	comp.unix.i386

This is what I proposed some months back; noone was quite happy with it.  I
want to see some discussions in news.groups about this -- everybody was more
than happy to toast me for suggesting this last time; I want those flames
to reappear and devour eachother.

To wit:

	comp.unix.microport	destroy
	comp.unix.xenix		destroy

	comp.unix.sysv.i286	new group, moderated if some silly person
				volunteers; for discussion of all 286 UNIX
				System V software.  (286 UNIX variants are
				more like eachother than they are like any-
				thing else.)

	comp.unix.sysv.i386	new group, moderated if some idiot wants the
				job.  rationale similar to .i286 above.  I
				will dissolve (mostly) my info-386ix at vixie
				mailing list if this is created; I withdraw
				my previous offer to moderate the group, tho.

For those of you who dislike four-component names -- I am still hoping for a
native 386/AT port of BSD to come into existence, and I want to leave room
in the name space early on.

For those of you who want groups named after products or companies -- go play
in the biz.all hierarchy; this is Usenet.

For those of you who have well-considered alternatives to what I propose --
speak up!  I especially want to hear from Bill Davidsen (sp), in case he has
an idea for where 386users can fit into all this.

Don't send me mail, I won't summarize, please have a public flame fest.

(Speaking as an individual, not an employee or spokesman of DEC.)
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie at dec.com	Play:  paul at vixie.UUCP