new groups for iX86 unix (was: Bell Tech 386 SysVr3)

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Mon Aug 22 23:59:00 AEST 1988

In article <424 at uport.UUCP>, plocher at uport.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
> What SINGLE name is there which covers all aspects of this group?
> comp.unix.intel is the best compromise I can see.

I have to agree.  Since there seems to be a division between the 80x86
architecture and "other" (linear) architectures, regardless of merit, we could
really come up with two types of Unix groups:

	comp.unix.segment	(or comp.unix.seg)
	comp.unix.linear	(or comp.unix.lin)

Obviously, the 80x86 CPUs would inhabit the segmented unix groups and the 68000,
National chips (N32???? something or other), etc., would live in the linear
groups.  This scheme would become more viable as the different flavours of unix
converge more and more, until the only difference (in essence) would be the
architecture of the CPU and the kludgey things one has to do to get code on one
vs. the other.

Choosing a name such as comp.unix.intel, is really the same thing as the names
i've outlined above, except for substituting vendor names -- i guess "intel"
has become synonomous with "segmented architechture".

derek
--
Derek Terveer		det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
			w(612)681-6986

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain