new groups for iX86 unix (was: Bell Tech 386 SysVr3)

rja rja at edison.GE.COM
Wed Aug 17 10:20:19 AEST 1988

> In article <728 at wb3ffv.UUCP> howardl at wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) writes:
> >comp.unix.i286			General 80286 UNIX discussions
> >comp.unix.i386			General 80386 UNIX discussions
> >comp.unix.i286.microport	For System V/AT
> >comp.unix.i386.microport	For System V/386
> >comp.unix.i386.ix		For IX from Interactive for the 80386
> >comp.unix.i286.xenix		For 80286 Xenix
> >comp.unix.1386.xenix		For 80386 Xenix

  This is excessive and still fails to address the point that Real Soon Now
there won't be a hill of beans worth of difference between Xenix and the
AT&T/Intel/interactive Systems/Microport/BellTech System V/386 port.

  Regular readers will recall that I do support the .i286 and .i386 groups
in place of .microport and .xenix though not the bottom 5 groups.  It does
neatly separate the products based on cpu which is helpful for those of us
who have to play with the memory adressing differences between the chips.
I have used several different varieties of intel-cpu-based UNIX and find
that Xenix 286 and System V/AT are a whole lot more in common in the bugs
than the Sys V/AT and Sys V/386 versions are (or Xenix 286 and Xenix 386 for
that matter.)

Intel cpus aren't brain-damaged, they just act that way.