PD Database for Xenix

Fred Rump fred at cdin-1.uucp
Fri Aug 12 07:32:24 AEST 1988

I'm surprised to see the question for a Database like DBase III under the
comp.xenix group.  Hasn't everybody heard of Foxbase+?  It doesn't have all
the development tools (forms, screen, catalog) as dbase in the xenix version
but it runs all the code you can hand it from any old dbase program.

I'm using DOS Foxbase+ under VP/ix for initial development (screen paint etc)
and then I just copy the result to my xenix directory using their handy little
dos/xenix conversion copy and I have xenix foxbase programs.

I can't do all the nice color and some other things under Xenix but for quick
and dirty 'get-the-job-done' type stuff it's just great. Fast too.

Foxbase+ 386 is available any day soon now.  In the meantime the 286 version
humms along.  For the record for those who are into this, the Xenix Foxbase is
about 2 generations behind the dos version.  Neither SCO nor Fox promise much
further development on the multi-user side. I think SCO will be pushing its
own Integra SQL type database in the future.  Just conjecture though.