Bell Tech Unix Review #2

Michael Grenier mike at cimcor.mn.org
Tue Aug 2 11:58:26 AEST 1988

>From article <5076 at bigtex.uucp>, by james at bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen):
> I don't mean to flame Bell Technologies, because Microport and SCO
> also appear to have this same problem, along with Novell and who knows
> what else.  I've never been able to determine what lead all of them to
> do things wrong - IBM's AT technical reference manual clearly shows
> that using the ROM is the wrong way to do things.

Perhaps I'm confused. Microport doesn not have this problem as their
UNIX drivers read information on the disk that contains the disk geometry.
During install (actually during format of the hard drive) you can
go into a menu that allows you to configured the number of heads, tracks,
etc. independent of the ROM (or RAM table) settings. This was a very
nice feature giving my Maxtor drive an extra 10 or more megabytes of standard
ROM type 9.

Now if Microport would only support more than 1024 tracks and RLL on
their 286 product....Oh Well, I can wait. They have a good product.

    -Mike Grenier
    mike at cimcor.mn.org
    {rutgers, amdahl}!bungia!cimcor!mike