Bell Tech 386 SysVr3

Mike Howard how at milhow1.UUCP
Fri Aug 5 00:16:12 AEST 1988

In article <1988Jul30.141708.3175 at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, woods at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) writes:

>> The Xenix serial driver cannot share interrupt vectors with more than
>> one port.
ok - but why is that a problem?  Seems like the serial driver is busy
enough that you _wouldn't_ want it to share a vector.
>> It will lose data at 1200 baud.

Crap.  I have a Compaq 286 (8 MHz) running SCO Xenix 2.2.1 with a Hostess
8-port board as COM2.  That board simultaneously drives:
 2 HP LaserJets - at 9600 baud
 1 TrailBlazer -  at a fixed interface speed at 9600 baud
 2 hard wired lines - at 9600 baud
 1 Data Device - at 9600 baud
 1 seldom used 1200 baud modem - at (coincidentally) 1200 baud.

All have run simultaneously w/o any character loss.  The flow control
ranges over hardware (the TrailBlazer), Xon/Xoff (the printers and cu
communications over dedicated lines), and `random protocol' (as in uucp)).
Response time is `unacceptable' while driving both printers and a tad
slow when doing a large uucp file transfer (5 Meg per night), but everything
works fine.

In defense of your indefensible statement: I tried Compaq's Xenix (now dead)
initially, and it could barely do 1200 baud w/o loosing Characters?  Is
that what you are talking about?

Xenix is not always Xenix and performance depends on who ported it -
especially the drivers.
--
Mike Howard
uunet!milhow1!how