GPIB and XENIX?

Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz sandy at turnkey.TCC.COM
Thu Aug 18 21:48:04 AEST 1988

In article <4960002 at hpgrla.HP.COM>, douglasg at hpgrla.HP.COM (@Douglas Genetten) writes:

> How readily can one do I/O onto a GPIB card using Xenix/386?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Doug Gennetten
>

> Rochester Institute of Technology
> Schools of Printing and Imaging Science
> Rochester, NY
>
> (716) 427-8866
> PhoneMail: (303) 350-4474

National Instruments sells there GPIB-3 IEEE-488 board, along with device
drivers for Xenix 286 and Xenix 386. We are presently using the board to
control high speed instumentation that the company that I work for,
manufacturers. Under Xenix 386, we have timed the transfers to be an
average of 70khz. The test was performed in the following way:

1) Two Compaq 386/20s tied together with the use of two IEEE boards.
2) A total of 5 megabytes of data was transferred in 32K chunks and the
   data was written to a disk file.
3) The AVERAGE time was calculated by starting the clock when the first byte
   was trasnferred and stopped when the last byte was written to the disk.
   If you were only interested in small transfers, the transfer rate went up
   to 105khz ( not the 150 that National claimed; however, acceptable! ).

We never tested National's software under Xenix286.

Sanford ( Sandy ) Zelkovitz
       ........!ihnp4!hermix!alphacm!sandy
       ........!trwrb!ucla-an!alphacm!sandy
       ........!uunet!ccicpg!turnkey!alphacm!sandy