Korn shell available?

Greg Woods woods at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
Sat Aug 27 11:50:01 AEST 1988

In article <2934 at ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ucdked!cck at deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
> In article <5302 at killer.DALLAS.TX.US> tensor at killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Steven Murphy) writes:
> >Is there Korn shell available for Xenix x86? Please let me know. Any other
> >shells would also be of intrest.
>
> The korn shell is available from Mortice Kern Systems as part of
> a package with awk and crypt.  Discount houses offer this at $105
> or so.  I have NOT tried it.  I do NOT know whether it will run
> on 8086 Xenix.

It is not free from bugs!  It runs "fine" on a 286, but again, I've no
knowledge of compatability with the 8086.  (nor do I want it :-) I see
no reason why it won't, since it does so fine under MS-DOS.

> One has to wonder why they bundled it with awk and crypt.

Because, of all the things missing from Unix (besides ksh) (sorry, Xenix
in this context :-), in Canada (and, in general, outside of the USA), is
crypt.

> I do not have the Xenix version but own the MSDOS implementation.
> It is worth every penny.

The MS-DOS version seemed to be better, but then, you don't always know
when something's trashed DOS, so you won't always know who to blame.

> Perhaps SCO should get its corporate buns in motion and work out
> a deal with MKS.

Hopefully, when they get around to it, the "merged" Xenix/Unix will come
standard with ksh.  (The real thing, not some re-implementation.)
[ Notice I didn't say "buggy implementation".  I was more than happy
with the MS-DOS version, when I had to use DOS.  I haven't used the
Xenix version extensively, and some of what I say is pure rumor.
However, when it comes to Unix, I'd like to see the original be
included, just because it's there, so there.  Fewer flame wars that way,
and, besides, all this competition isn't healthy :-) ]

BTW:  Does anyone know what the official position of AT&T is regarding
the inclusion of ksh in a port of System V Rel. 3?  I've been told ISC
was prevented from including it in the 386/ix release, but Microport
(and/or Bell Tech.) have made it available.

A licensed, extended, version of ksh is available from Aspen Scientific.
This one is supposed to have been derived from the AT&T sources.

If you really want, I think the source for ksh is still available from
the AT&T Unix Toolchest.  It was $3000.  Not bad for a csh replacement :-)
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada