OOPS and Foxbase

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Mon Aug 22 08:35:57 AEST 1988

In article <6808 at well.UUCP>, dave at well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) writes:
> [First problem]
> Secondly - if modem-callers  who do NOT have terminal emulation
> programs run it - plain tty mode - the whole session is
> punctuated by OOPS's (coming from curses, I guess), and is
> totally unsatisfactory.

I've run into the exact same problem that you have seen when entering new
terminals into the /etc/termcap file.

Apparently, the OOPS is an exclaimation of suprise by curses when it encounters
things in the termcap file it doesn't understand.  This doesn't seem to be a
documented feature.  I have *not* seen this problem in terminfo files.

I have seen the OOPS result in two different cases:

	1. Any kind of capatilized capabilities in the termcap entry, such as
	   "AL", etc.  Just delete all capatilized capabilities.  These are
	   mostly "multiple commands" anyway, such as >1 line delete, etc.,
	   which vi doesn't seem to use anyway!  (arg! (:-()

	2. Any time there are the following type of push strings in the
	   capability, for example, %p1 or %p2.  I simply deleted these strings
	   with "1,$s/%p[12]//g" in vi.  The removal of these substrings from
	   the capabilities removed the obnoxious OOPS from the screen and
	   didn't seem to affect the curses capability.

Good luck, hope this helps!

derek