Security

Bob Reineri root at raider.UUCP
Mon Aug 15 01:24:52 AEST 1988

I am rapidly finding out that running a public access system is a security
nightmare. I am currently having a couple of problems :-), perhaps someone
may be able to help.

I would like to give folks access to vnews and elm via a restricted shell. I
have dutifully set up a 'restricted' bin directory containing just a few
commands, like vi, vnews, readnews, who, cat; I set all restricted users PATH
to this directory only. Here's the rub:

They can use shell commands from within either vnews of vi and do anything
their heart desires (within normal system security, of course). Well, this
just won't work ! I know there is a 'red' editor, but I hate to confine them
to that.

Does anyone have a solution for me ? Am I trying to do this the wrong way ?

Bob
--
     ______
    /     / RaiderNet Public Access - Node 2 (Xenix)        (615) 896-8716