Building Xenix 2.2.1 and partitions...

Mitchell Lerner mitchell at cadovax.UUCP
Wed Aug 3 03:43:59 AEST 1988

I recently installed a MAXTOR 1085 HD in my Wyse AT and installed SCO Xenix
2.2.1 on it.  After allocating about 4MB for the swap partition, I was
rather let down to find that there were only 130,028 blocks available
for the system (28 bad tracks ~~1.9MB + 4MB swap area == ~~6MB).

df -v<ret>
partition	blocks		used	free	%used
/root		43330		16778	26552	39%
/u		86698		53430	66268	62%

Why did I get only ~~71 usable MB out of my 85MB MAXTOR?

I choose to have a separate /u partition and I choose the maximum
size for it which got me 86698 blocks.  I somehow wanted more of the
disk for the /u partition because that is where all of the
databases for the accounting software goes.  The system seemed to
decide for me that the root partition needed 43330 block.  20
meg for a vanilla Xenix root with no development system???
The root partition is only 39% used and I don't see where it's
gonna grow *that* much more.  I could see an extra 5 meg in the root just
for saftey's sake and such, but 12???

Is there a way that I can install Xenix so that the /u partition
gets more of the disk (I'm sure there must be)?

Is there a way (short of reinstalling the whole system) that I can make
the /u partition bigger?

I know that this stuff is elementry but thanks!
--
Mitchell Lerner -- UUCP:  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell
	Don't speak to him of your heartache, for he is speaking.