tar header format

root root at ozdaltx.UUCP
Thu Aug 4 15:29:12 AEST 1988

I have a tar saved disk that somehow has had the file header
information either removed or erased.  The data (ASCII) looks
intact, however.

Question:  Can someone explain how tar writes its file
information header to me so I can try to reconstruct (patch)
the disk for recovery?  Is there such a thing as tar.h?
 Thanks in advance...
--
 Scotty
 AIDS INFORMATION EXCHANGE BBS      (214) 247-2367/247-5609