Korn shell available?

Dimitri Rotow dar at belltec.UUCP
Tue Aug 30 02:51:08 AEST 1988

In article <23380 at labrea.Stanford.EDU>, karish at denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:

> >If you really want, I think the source for ksh is still available from
> >the AT&T Unix Toolchest.  It was $3000.  Not bad for a csh replacement :-)
>
> 	This buys you a site license, which has been interpreted to apply
> 	even to very large sites (whole universities).  I think that the
> 	price for an individual machine is about $150, for source.  Then
> 	you get to port it yourself.

(sigh!) I wish ! AT&T sells KSH sources through the "Toolchest" where a
single fixed price gets you source code plus unlimited rights to binary
redistribution royalty free.  The current charge for KSH is $20,000, rather
steep when you consider that far more complex packages go for much less.
Most of the distributors haven't ponied up the $20,000 because we don't
want to spend the cash and then get caught short when AT&T releases KSH
as part of 4.0 in a better release.  I guess no one believes that AT&T
can resist getting sane for much longer, and that KSH inclusion in UNIX
is imminent.

Dimitri Rotow