SCO Xenix "ex" limitations

Andrew Beattie andrew at riddle.UUCP
Tue Aug 9 01:52:22 AEST 1988

In article <58 at libove.UUCP> root at libove.UUCP (The Super User) writes:

>The SCO Xenix 2.2.1 /286 "ex" editor seems to have a low limit on the
>maximum file size it can edit. I attempted to edit my pathsfile (about
>700K) and it gave me the error "tmp file too large".
>
>Is there some way around this? Disk space and memory are not problems.

Looks like you hit ulimit.  This prevents you creating files greater
than 1Mb.  An ex tmp file can easily be twice as large as the file
which you are editing.  Try:

ulimit 1000000
ex large_file

Note that only root can increase ulimit :-(

Andrew Beattie
Sphinx, 43-53 Moorbrige Road, Maidenhead, England
mcvax!ukc!reading!riddle!andrew
andrew at sphinx.co.uk
+44 62882 2266
#include <disclaimer.h>