Bell Tech 386 SysVr3 (really a put-down of Xenix)

Haller jhh at ihlpl.ATT.COM
Fri Aug 12 00:27:26 AEST 1988

In article <6643 at conexch.UUCP>, enped at conexch.UUCP (Eric Pederson) writes:
> We haven't had as much luck with SCO Xenix.  I think our troubles may be due to
> poor SVID IPC support in the 2.1 Xenix for the 386.

There was a bug in the SVR2 IPC.  I don't remember the details, but if
more than 64K message queues were created and deleted, a counter overflowed,
indirectly causing a reference to an invalid memory location.  I saw
this in a 3B-20S.  After a call to AT&T Software Support (not the hotline,
but the people in Lisle, IL who support people with a software support
contract), they provided a fix the next day.  If SCO's IPC is SVR2
based, it may have the same bug.  Since the bug was found in SVR2, it
was most likely fixed before SVR3 was released.

John Haller