Bell Tech 386 SysVr3

wtr at moss.ATT.COM wtr at moss.ATT.COM
Tue Aug 9 22:08:53 AEST 1988

In article <722 at wb3ffv.UUCP> howardl at wb3ffv.UUCP (Howard Leadmon ) writes:
>In article <550 at pcrat.UUCP>, rick at pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:

>> With the impending merge of UNIX, it makes more sense to just break
>> the groups as "i286" and "i386".

> I think this would be a GREAT IDEA, and I can't believe this is the first
>time I have ever seen it mentioned on the net. This would certainly allow
>us to read the information that pertains to our CPU...

this idea has been gone over and argued multiple times, and was
discussed heavily when this newsgroup was formed.  it's a BAD idea
for this reason:  it would put the XENIX camp in with the INTERACTIVE
port team (microport/bell tech/etc..).

[prepare asbestos suit / install sprinklers in mailbox ]

would all the would-be prophets of the XENIX world stop
their **garbage** postings in comp.unix.microport!

i have purchased microport and am looking for support,
hints, and fixes in this newsgroup.  I am *not* looking for
some XENIX dweeb expounding upon the virtues of his system
over microports.  this is especially true when he/she/it
apparently has little direct experience with microport.

go home.  if you have information about
microport / bell tech, then feel free to post it here, it's
very welcome.  if you just want to throw your shoulder out
of joint patting yourself on the back, do it in your own
yard.

[if someone wants to take this one up, email it]

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)

email address:		...![ att ulysses ucbvax allegra ]!moss!wtr
			...![ att ucbvax akgua watmath  ]!clyde!wtr