OOPS and Foxbase

Ray P. Hill ray at madnix.UUCP
Wed Aug 24 12:20:18 AEST 1988

In article <6808 at well.UUCP>, dave at well.UUCP (Dave Hughes) writes:
> Secondly - if modem-callers  who do NOT have terminal emulation
> programs run it - plain tty mode - the whole session is
> punctuated by OOPS's (coming from curses, I guess), and is
> totally unsatisfactory.

The "OOPS" error comes from the termcap call "tgoto". According to the XENIX
docs: "If a % sequence is given which is not understood, then tgoto returns
OOPS".

According to "Advanced C Programming for Displays" (page 70): "In case of error,
tgoto returns a very strange error indication: the string OOPS. If you ever run
a screen program that displays that your terminal, you'll know where it came
from!"

This book also says that termcap entries for "BC" and "UP" are required for
programs that use "tgoto".

That means to run the program your users will HAVE to have some sort of terminal
emulation.

					Ray Hill
--
UUCP: {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!nicmad!madnix!ray
                        {decvax|att}!