/etc/inittab Problems with SCO XENIX-286

id for use with uunet/usenet jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Tue Aug 16 01:25:17 AEST 1988

In article <12997 at mimsy.UUCP>, meyer at mimsy.UUCP (John R. Meyer) writes:
> Hello Netlanders --
>
> 	I am trying to get the /usr/bin/sysadmsh shell going in multiscreen
> /dev/tty05 using /etc/inittab.  I have the line
>
> 	05::respawn:/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/sysadmsh
>
> in the /etc/inittab file but the standard

In SCO Xenix the inittab file is not fully functional.  Looking at the manual
it says that the program telinit converts the inittab file to the ttys file.
Because of this it ignores the program name at the end of the line.

To start a shell or program automatically on powerup you have to do several
steps.  I don't have them at my fingertips, but they involve creating
a user with the name of the tty you want to use, and putting the
word AUTO on a line in the gettydefs file which the terminal definition
will access.  I know I have left at least one other step, but this should
get you on the right direction.  Look at page two of the  GETTYDEFS(F) manual
and you should be able to figure out the rest.

Jonathan Bayer
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
19 Virginia Ave.
Rockville Centre, NY   11570