"cd path" strangeness

Geoff Rimmer maujd at warwick.UUCP
Tue Jun 21 22:33:30 AEST 1988

In article <337 at vector.UUCP> chip at vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>Here is a wierd one.  In csh, move to some directory which doesn't have
>a "path" subdirectory.  Then type either "cd path" or "chdir path".
>
>The expected response would be "path: No such file or directory."  Instead,
>no message is issued, and either you stay where you were or you move to
>$path[1].  This behavior is independant of the definition of "cdpath" (or
>lack of definition).

Let me quote from the manual page for csh!

cd [dir]
chdir [dir]
	Change the shell's working directory to directory dir.  If no
	argument is given, change to the home directory of the user.
	If dir is a relative path-name not found in the current
	directory, check for it in those directories listed in the
	cdpath variable.  If dir is the name of a shell variable whose
	value starts with a /, change to the directory named by that value.

i.e. the argument after the 'cd' or 'chdir' is checked:-

	1	for a directory given by a relative pathname
	2	for a directory in cdpath
	3	for a directory taken from the shell variable

so, since #1,2 fail with your example ('cd path'), #3 is used, and so
the directory is changed to $path[1] - it seems if you give it a
variable that contains more than one directory, such as $path, it
takes the first one.

>--
>Chip Rosenthal /// chip at vector.UUCP /// Dallas Semiconductor /// 214-450-0400
>{uunet!warble,sun!texsun!rpp386,killer}!vector!chip
>I won't sing for politicians.  Ain't singing for Spuds.  This note's for you.

	Geoff Rimmer, Computer Science, Warwick University, UK.
			maujd at uk.ac.warwick.opal

	"I report the news as it's seen in my country" - CNN