infinite spill bites again!

The Super User root at libove.UUCP
Tue Jun 14 00:10:23 AEST 1988

Well, the infamous SCO Xenix 2.1.4g development system INFINITE SPILL
bug has bitten again...

I got the posting of gnuchess version 2, with its unbelieavbly (and
rather stupidly I think) huge gnuchess.c module... and after correcting
(er, ah, simplifying) a few expressions on the first 1500 lines or so,
the compiler chugs its way through to 1654 where is gets another
infinite spill error on the statement:

atk1 = atak[c1];

atk1 is a (short *). atak[] must be an array of (short *) I expect...

The point is, I can't simplify that expression any further! Is there
anything else I can do at all, other than upgrade? Maybe does someone
have a split up gnuchess.c that can compile (period) and do so in
under twenty minutes a run? (Big source modules really make the SCO
compiler grind slowly...)

Oh well, please pardon the slightly inflammatory tone, and thanks.

--
Jay Libove (Jay.Libove at andrew.cmu.edu  or  pitt!darth!libove!libove)