SCO and hard disk errors

Mwa ha ha ericg at sco.COM
Tue Jun 28 03:22:37 AEST 1988

root at libove.UUCP (The Super User) wrote in article <51 at libove.UUCP>:

>The 20 meg drive has no flaws, but the 80 meg drive has a few bad tracks.
>The Xenix bad track (badtrk) utility does not mark them all; it, like all

If you know that there were not some included after the scan, the correct
action to take is to enter them manually from the flaw map.  In fact,
if you have a flaw map, don't even bother with the scan -- just enter
the flaws manually.

>a great deal of trouble with floppies - the Xenix utilities will often
>write to a bad spot on a floppy (assuming that it *will* hold out, instead
>of the more likely case that it will *not*) ... but anyway...

The floppy driver assumes error-free floppies -- so bad writes/reads
will retry quite a bit.

>So, often I am running something disk intensive and the system starts
>thrashing; that is, I hear the hard drive making its characteristic "seek
>to root, attempt to seek to target sector again" noise.

Do you get any console error messages at this point?  If so, you can
just take the cyl/track numbers and add them into the badtrack table.

--
Eric Griswold  |\*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*/ \*| "When Zen is outlawed |
ericg at sco.COM  | I do not speak for SCO.  I barely    | only outlaws will     |