SCO Telebit UUCICO works wonders ...

John F. Haugh II haugj at pigs.UUCP
Thu Jun 9 08:46:45 AEST 1988

I wanted to let everyone that does not use the SCO UUCP package for the
Telebit Trailblazer (regardless of whether or not you have a Trailblazer)
that you are missing out on a Good Thing.  The fixes which SCO has made
to uucico may be taken advantage of by systems with or without 9600
baud modems.

The number of systems which I am now communicating with at full speed for
the connection has reduced my total connect time from 200KSec for
last week to 175KSec for the current week for 25MByte of data transferred
during this and the previous week.

The most important thing to do when installing the new uucico from the
disk is setting `windows'[1] == 7 using adb.  This single change resulted
in about 15KSec less connection time with my upstream newsfeed.

The most worthwhile comparision is between sending and receiving times
for two SCO Xenix sites.  rpp386 is running the windows = 7 uucico, while
as far as I know, bigtex is running the stock windows = 3 uucico.  The
average transmission speed was 111C/Sec as compared to a receive speed
of 60C/Sec.

The difference hypothetically being caused by having to wait[2] for ACK
packets with only three data packets outstanding when bigtex is sending
data, as compared to rpp386 being forced to stop transmitting with seven
packets outstanding.  One might conclude that changing the number of
windows to 7 would then bring both systems to 110+C/Sec.

- John.
------
[1] The number of windows UUCP uses refers to the number of outstanding
    unacknowleged data packets which uucico will allow before stopping
    data transmission.

[2] The bigtex<->rpp386 connection is over PC-Pursuit which introduces
    packet delays sufficient to lower throughput by as much as 50% with
    UUCP's running a small window size or small number of windows.  The
    delays are caused by PC-Pursuit collecting the ACK packets to make
    a larger 64 byte `segment'.
--
 The Beach Bum                                 Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                          jfh at rpp386.uucp :SMAILERS

 "You are in a twisty little maze of UUCP connections, all alike" -- fortune